SALES PROCESS DESIGN
In our latest book, The Collaborative Sale, we describe the importance of dynamic buyer-aligned sales processes – a definition of effective engagement between buyers and sellers. By establishing sales processes that optimize the quality of each customer’s experience, sales teams can differentiate their value, not only by what they sell, but more importantly, by how they interact with buyers.
With more than two decades of sales process development experience in hundreds of sales organizations, we have developed a proven methodology for rapidly and efficiently designing and documenting optimized sales process definitions for clients, called Sales Process Design. This may include the creation of multiple process variants, depending on the number and types of buyer constituencies served by the client organization.
The principal deliverables are sales process maps, showing the key selling steps aligned to buyers’ preferred purchase behaviors. These maps include definition of recommended sales activities, verifiable outcomes, relevant sales tools, and resources engaged in each step.
Properly defined verifiable outcomes – observable buyer behaviors that show alignment with the seller – increase visibility, accuracy and confidence throughout each sales opportunity. This guides salespeople to more consistent sales results, and enables sales managers to significantly improve the quality of forecasting and coaching.
THE SALES PROCESS DESIGN ENGAGEMENT CONSISTS OF :
- Structured interviews (approximately 1 hour each) with a representative group of sales leaders, managers, operations, and sellers
- Collation of interview results, including initial definitions of tailored selling processes
- 1-day facilitated workshop to review and tune the final sales process designs
- Final documentation and delivery of the agreed upon sales process map(s)
In addition to incorporating process maps into sales team development training, they can also be used for:
- Defining sales manager inspection criteria and cadence
- Providing standards for pipeline and opportunity quality reviews
- Setting forecasting standards
- Aligning sales process within CRM applications
- Improving customer experience (CX) with the sales team